Skip to main content

Part 48 - The Accordion

 


My next leave became due about March and I lined up on deck in a snowstorm for inspection before taking the boat ashore. I had bought an accordion on the ship and I was taking it home with me, as it was snowing and it had no case I had wrapped it up in some cleaning cloth. As the Master of Arms came along inspecting the men going ashore he told me to fall out. The boat left for the shore with the liberty-men and I was taken to the Officer of the Watch. The MAA told the OOW  that I had been attempting to steal Pursers Cloth- namely the cloth wrapped around my accordion. I explained that the cloth was old and worn and would have been thrown out anyway. The OOW had to back up the MAA and said I was on Captains report when I came back off leave in a fortnights time. I had to telegram my mother to say I would be a day late and I left the next day for home, it wasn't very nice to think you would had to come back to Captains report. The journey home took longer than usual as trains were delayed due to snow on the lines. I had a few hours in London on the way home and finally arrived about 11pm dead beat and ready for a good leave. The Boro played Burnley at home in the cup and I watched the match which was played on a snow covered pitch with a 53,000 crowd watching. The Boro drew with Burnley but got beat 2-1 in the replay at Burnley the following week. 

Comments